Fonds and databases
ACCESS TO THE ELECTRONIC DATABASE OF FONDS AND FINDING AIDS HERE
The Badatelna.eu portal allows online access to archival groups and finding aids held in some Czech memory institutions including the MCL Literary Archive. Its users can get information on whether the MCL LA administrates the archival fond of a certain individual or institution (corporation); in the case of a particular group processing also information on archival records is available. The Badatelna.eu database is available only in Czech language.
Manual on searching for fonds, collections and finding aids
(1) we recommend the web browsers ‘Mozilla Firefox’ or ‘Google Chrome’ for optimal database display
(2) results of retrieval are ordered alphabetically (English alphabet; the search engine does not distinguish, e.g. Czech diacritical marks - hacky)
(3) searching is possible through:
(a) full-text browser windows – this structure enables fast search in the database and shows names that match a fond, sub-records and registers by an entered string.
Since it is the fast search that is preferred, this type only browses contents of the so-called indexed sections of databases, therefore results of queries are not always satisfactory, unlike in a successive retrieval in individual inventories. The results are arranged by the frequency of items that match; therefore such an archival fond whose name corresponds with the given string can appear among the last retrieved items in the full-text search.
(b) advanced search – it enables to set specific parameters for search in databases (archive, fond name, and the like),
(c) retrieval in fond lists of individual memory institutions – the list of fonds held in their collections is displayed by a click on the symbol of arrow placed in the bottom right-hand corner of individual institutions’ icons. A particular fond or collection is to be retrieved upon entering a searched-for string; the alphabet navigation helps browse data on individual groups or their inventories.
Information on individual fonds and collections
Bookmarks containing diverse sorts of information are displayed upon a click on the respective icon in retrieved fond (e.g. ´Otevřít´ / Fund information button)
(1) Basic information: contains brief data on the fond originator, time extent, composition (correspondence recipients/senders are included selectively), and information on whether the fond is arranged and provided with inventory or other archival findings.
(2) Information on fond (only in processed fonds): it includes the curriculum vitae of its originator, or the history of institution, an inventory imprint or the front-page of inventory, details on the fond arrangement (it especially applies to newly processed fonds).
(3) Inventory (only in processed fonds): it contains electronic version of inventory. The list of individual items will be successively revealed upon a click on symbol +. The symbol + changes into the symbol – to show which sections of the fond you are just scanning. Sub-items are retrieved (1 item = 1 file) upon unrolling some sections of the fond. Additional information to the basic description of item is largely given in the newly processed fonds in the content box (‘Obsah´).
comment (´pozn.´) – contains information on attachments and further information that are important in processor’s view
registration units / number of sheets (´počet listů´) – contain information on how many sheets (II) a particular item consists of
number of pieces (´počet kusů´) – contains information on how many pieces (pc) a particular item consists of
dating (´datace´) – contains time span of items, or approximation
(4) Registers (only in processed fonds): it enables alphabetic and full-text search in fond registers (name, registers of works)