The vast huge building complex was founded in 1143 by Prince Vladislav on Bishop Jindřich Zdík’s initiative. It is among the greatest architectural monuments in the Czech Republic (National Cultural Monument). It includes the Basilica of the Assumption of Our Lady, the monastery with a provisional estate, the abbey building, the library, St. Roch’s Church, and out-buildings with land estates.
The Monastery was seized by the State in 1950. The historic Strahov Library re-opened to the public on September 21st, 1951, and the historical building would house a new study room and depositories. Material gathered in libraries from closed-down monasteries started to be gradually placed to the Library, which would be incorporated in the Museum of Czech Literature. The Museum of Czech Literature has been situated there since 1952; it enjoyed the right to manage the property from 1952 to 1990. The building was once home to the Institute for Czech and World Literature of the Czechoslovak Academy of Sciences (until 1991). The Monastery was given back to the Premonstratensian Order (Royal Canonry of Premonstratensians at Strahov) in 1990; since that time, the Museum of Czech Literature has been renting some rooms.