Bubeneč- a quarter in Prague boasts three villas gradually built by owner builders, the Petschek family of bankers and industrialists, in the last quarter of the 19th century and the first quarter of the 20th century. The so-called Third Petschek Villa No.44 was built between 1929 and 1930. It is an example of the eclectic style satisfying the prestigious requirements of the owner builders. In 2006, the house and adjacent land estate were taken over by the MCL that was planning to establish a new head office there. However, un-clarified property claims went on trial, and would not halt until 2011, in favour of the MCL. Based on public tender, a new project aimed at the institution’s new head office got off the ground in no time. The project documentation for a contractor was completed in 2015. Public tender for reconstruction launched in the mid-2016 was halted in the first quarter of 2017. The reconstruction is afoot at the moment to be brought to completion till the end of 2021. The building will be open to the public in 2022 and will house a vast permanent exhibition, a programme hall, a literary coffee shop, study rooms and professional workplaces.
Besides rooms for temporary displays, the building’s ground floor will host a long-term exhibition charting modern Czech literature. The exhibition halls adjoin a multi-purpose hall – a perfect venue for lectures, seminars, conferences, film shows, literary programmes, cultural and social events for visitors of all ages. There will be a coffee shop, and facilities with a bookshop.The MCL Central Study Room will be situated on the 1st floor and will have separate rooms for study of archival records and collector’s items. Professionals will be provided with card catalogues and access to the collection databases; furthermore, they will have a professional manual at hand. The Petschek Villa will be home to MCL Director’s Office, the Literary Archive management’s offices, and the offices of staff who are often in touch with the public. The offices of collection departments and a department of economy will be positioned on the 2nd floor. Rooms in the basement will serve for the collections storage and preservation purposes (depositories, conservation and reproduction workshops). The plan includes the entrance to a new underground air-conditioned depository for the most treasured archival records and collection items.